CLAT 2021 Syllabus, Books & Preparation Tips
The CLAT 2021 syllabus covers all of the topics that law students must study in order to pass the exam. Common Law Admission Test (CLAT) is the national level law entrance exam for admission to 22 National Law Universities (NLUs). The CLAT scores are accepted by the 22 NLUs and other Law Schools that accept CLAT Scores for admission to 3-year LLB and 5-year Integrated LLB and LLM programs. All of the programs have a separate syllabus.
The consortium has also given section-by-section breakdowns of the questions asked and their weightage. This analysis can assist you in prioritising subjects and developing a strategy. Focusing on topics with more weightage will increase your chances of scoring higher.
CLAT 2021 Latest Updates:
- CLAT 2021 exam date July 23 from 2 pm to 4 pm.
- The CLAT 2021 Exam will be a pen and paper exam conducted at centers with all COVID 19 safety protocols being observed.
- Candidates for the LLM program in CLAT 2021 are hereby informed that the examination will include only 120 MCQs to be answered in 120 minutes.
- There will be no descriptive section in CLAT 2021.
- The CLAT UG and PG syllabuses were changed by the consortium last year.
- Students were given comprehension-based questions to assess their reading, critical thinking, and analytical abilities. The importance of rote learning was downplayed.
CLAT 2021 Exam Details
The CLAT UG exam has 150 multiple-choice questions and is designed to measure knowledge in five areas: English, Current Affairs (including general knowledge), Logical Reasoning, Legal Reasoning, and Quantitative Techniques. Each question is worth 1 mark, and each incorrect response will cost you 0.25 points.
|SECTIONS||English, General knowledge and current affairs, mathematics, legal aptitude, and logical reasoning|
|No. of questions||150 questions|
|Total marks for CLAT exam||150 marks|
|Duration||2 hours(120 minutes)|
|Format||Multiple choice questions(MCQ)|
|No. of seats offered||5-year integrated llb program-2622 seats, LLM progran-808 seats|
Courses Offered Through CLAT
- BA LLB
- BBA LLB
- BSW LLB
- BSC LLB
- BCOM LLB
CLAT 2021 Syllabus:
The six parts of the CLAT Syllabus are English (including comprehension), General Knowledge & Current Affairs, Mathematics, Legal Aptitude, and Logical Reasoning. Candidates are encouraged to read the entire CLAT syllabus below to get the rough idea.
CLAT 2021 Syllabus for English Language (UG)
The English language syllabus includes topics as understanding of the passage & its central theme, meaning of words using therein, fill in the blanks etc.
- Reading Comprehension
- Vocabulary Based Questions
- Figures of Speech- Personification, Irony, etc.
- Active & Passive Voice
- Concord (Subject-Verb Agreement)
- Spotting Grammatical Errors
- Verbs formation
- Verbs Usage
CLAT 2021 Syllabus for Current Affairs and General Knowledge (UG)
Current Affairs and General Knowledge will include topics as static general knowledge, question & current affairs, national & international current affairs, and much more.
- History, Economics, Science
- Static GK, Current Affairs
- Awards and Honors
- International Affairs
- Major developments in the areas of sports
- Geopolitics and important environmental agreements
- Contemporary events of significance from India and the world
- Arts and Culture
CLAT 2021 Syllabus for Legal Reasoning (UG)
The Legal Reasoning portion of the CLAT 2021 question paper will contain 35-39 questions and will be worth 25% of the total score. This section’s passages would also be 450 words long. These could be scenarios or real-life situations based on public policy, legal issues, or moral philosophical dilemmas. To answer the questions/passages in this part, no prior understanding of the law is required.
- Legal Maxims
- Legal Terms
- Indian Constitution
- Criminal Law
- Landmark Judgements
- Torts and Contracts
CLAT 2021 Logical Reasoning Syllabus (UG)
You should read the passage and make a list of the reasons presented and recognize the premises and conclusions of the argument. Also, You should also be able to analyze the thinking patterns and evaluate the results based on specific premises or facts. You should also identify equivalence and contradictions, as well as the efficiency of arguments, by drawing parallels and comparisons.
- Basics of logic
- Premise and Conclusion
- Course and Effect
CLAT 2021 Syllabus for Mathematics (UG)
In Mathematics section, candidate’s knowledge related to elementary mathematics will be checked. You will have to answer multiple choice questions based on certain topics.
- Modern Maths
- Commercial Maths
CLAT 2021 Syllabus for Quantitative Section:
Short collections of facts or propositions, graphs, or other textual, visual, or diagrammatic representations of numerical information will be presented in this section, which will be followed by a series of questions. Each question carries 1 mark, while there is a negative marking of 0.25 mark for an incorrect answer.
- Volume and surface area
- Basic algebra
- Time and distance
- Ratio & Proportion
- Data interpretation
Syllabus for PG CLAT 2021:
The objective and descriptive components of the PG question paper will be separated into two pieces. It’s important to note that the description section has been reintroduced. Because the exam was administered online last year, the descriptive portion, which included two essays, was removed from the syllabus.
- Constitutional law
- Administrative law
- Family law
- Company law
- Law of contracts
- Tax law
- Environmental law
- Criminal law
- Law of torts
- Labour and industrial law
- Public international law
- Property law
- International law
- Intellectual property law
TIPS TO STUDY FOR CLAT 2021
- Plan out how you will study by checking the syllabus and pattern of the exam
- For general knowledge and current affairs section , Read magazines and newspaper daily for better knowledge.
- Check books ,topper and expert tips to know how to crack CLAT 2021
CLAT Exam 2021 Procedure:
The CLAT Exam pattern will look like this
CLAT 2021 UG Pattern:
- Duration: the total exam duration will be two hours.
- Type of Questions: The question paper will contain multiple-choice questions.
- Language: The questions will be in the English language
- Marking Scheme: One mark for each correct answer
- Negative Marking: 0.25 mark will be deducted for each wrong answer.
CLAT 2021 Weightage:
|SECTION||NO. OF QUESTIONS|
|Current Affairs and General Knowledge||35-39|
Changes in syllabus of CLAT 2021
- The number of questions from 200 to 120.
- Comprehension based questions from logical, English, Quantitative, Deductive Reasoning and Current affair section
- In place of legal reasoning new section of Deductive Reasoning is there.
- EXAM STILL REMAINS OF 2 HOURS
How to apply for CLAT 2021?
- To apply for CLAT 2021 UG, the Candidate should have passed Class 12th with at least 45% marks (40% for SC/ST candidates) from a recognized university.
- To apply for CLAT 2021 LLM, Candidates should have completed LLB graduation from a recognized university securing at least 50% marks (general category). For SC/ST candidates 45% aggregate marks.
- Candidates need to register on the website. Submit the following details: Name, Mobile, Email Id and password.
- After registering, fill the application form.
- To complete the form, upload a passport-size photo and signature, enter personal information and educational information.
- Select the preference for exam centers.
- Pay the fees using online modes
- For general category- Rs 4000
- For sc /st /BPL category- Rs 3500
Books for CLAT 2021 Preparation
|English (Including Comprehension)||Word power made easy by Norman LewisThe Pearson Guide to the CLAT(English)Verbal and Non Verbal Reasoning By RS Aggarwal|
|General knowledge and Current affairs||Manorama Yearbook(English)Pearson Concise GK ManualLucents General Knowledge(English)|
|Quantitative Techniques||Quantitative Appitude and logical Reasoning (English) by RS AggarwalFast Track objective Arithemetic by ArihantS Chand’s 30 days wonder for maths|
|Legal Aptitude||LST’s Legal Reasoning moduleObjective Legal Aptitude by RS Aggarwal|
|Logical Reasoning||Verbal Reasoning By RS AggarwalAnalytical Reasoning (English) by MK Pandey|
Student should also solve last year papers for better practice.
CLAT Syllabus 2021 FAQs
Its not compulsory to have maths in 12th in order to eligible for the exam. However, the question paper includes section on Quantitative Techniques , which contains mathematics questions of class 10 level.
Candidates are asked Grammar and Reading Comprehension Questions
Class 10 level questions were asked in this section
The exam is of two hours duration
CLAT is an offline pen-paper mode based exam. However due to the current pandemic the paper will be conducted ONLINE
In CLAT, one mark is awarded for every correct answer and 0.25 marks are deducted for every incorrect answer.
The difficulty level of CLAT exam paper is usually moderate
The number of questions in CLAT UG was reduced from 150 to 120. The descriptive section was removed and questions asked were based on comprehensive passages.